Monday, November 30, 2015

November 23, 2015 The Ebola Strikes Back!!

Hello Everyone!
This week was been such an eventful week! Lot's of things happening. Lot's of movement in the mission. So, I guess you heard. Ebola has struck again in Liberia. It was just on the outskirts of Monrovia. 4 people have been diagnosed. They have quarantined 150 as of today. We have already taken the necessary precautions. We moved out three companionship's near that area. We have placed the mission under the Ebola Response Program until we get further notice. Elder Vinson of the Seventy said that if we want to stay in Liberia, we have to follow this strictly. So: 1. No handshaking (Do you have any idea how difficult that is?) 2. No Free Meals (Turn down EVERYTHING! I already had to turn down a member. He was sad) 3. No buying food on the street. It's difficult to follow. We hope that after a few weeks, we can be back to normal business. But until then, we are just taking precautions. We hope this doesn't spread. 
I have finally taken upon myself a Utah Status Missionary. My companion and I are not covering just one branch now, we are covering two. The nearby branch, Doe Community, has been asking for missionaries but we don't have the number to send them missionaries. So, President gave us permission to begin teaching there. We went to church there yesterday. I taught the investigators class. So, as I started the class, I asked for all people who have not been baptized to raise their hands. I wish you could have seen it. Everyone's hands went up! There were 30 hands in the air. My companion and I just looked at each other. The Branch Mission Leader had been teaching them lessons 1-5 in Preach My Gospel. They have just been waiting for missionaries to come and baptize them. So, we are going to review with them all of the lessons for the next couple of weeks. And then, we are hoping for a mass baptism. It's incredible. The work is crazy over here. It's exciting. Well, I love you all. Have a great thanksgiving! 
Love
Elder Treadway